A small-town bar and grill held its grand opening Monday in Palouse. By dawn Tuesday the restaurant, housed in a century-old building, was a smoldering ruin.
The Brick Wall Bar & Grill was open for less than 24 hours before it burned to the ground.
When fire crews arrived early Tuesday morning, smoke was billowing out of the iconic downtown building which had been recently renovated.
Like just about everyone in Palouse, Fire Chief Mike Bagott was at the Brick Wall Bar & Grill for the opening party, hosted by owners Adam and Olivia Barron.
"The awesome thing about these small towns is that everybody mobilizes when something like this happens," Bagott said. "Everybody is just trying to stay alive out here and the thought of a new business and some activity to help build the community is such an exciting thing. To have it not last 24 hours is just very frustrating."
The early-morning fire burned with an incredible amount of energy.
"You could see all of the smoke in the windows and coming out of all of the crevices at first, just billowing out of the building," Palouse resident Chris Vanharn said